Sunday, April 7, 2013

Click ! Click ! Click !

Sometimes all you need to do is meet a person , to realize the fact that they are going to be a part of your life , changing it irrevocably for the good . People who believe in romance call it Love at First sight , others call it meeting your soulmate and some others just call it a click . I called it Stupidity , balderash and loads of other stuff and when the mood struck me - bull crap.

You see I didn't believe in relationships that were meant to be a few years ago - until I met this lovely person , for whom this post is intended to be a gift .

It was in 2005 that I first met her . I was at the auditorium of our college , waiting in line to participate in a series of competitions and she was volunteering for Shristi , the literary club. I was the nervous ickle firstie and she was the confident senior. In fact , the only thing that bound us together was our gender - never mind the fact that I looked and acted tomboyish .

Then we got talking and I discovered that we had quite a lot in common. As we shared a bus back to town that evening ,we talked about anything and everything under the sun and quite specifically on Movies , Maniratnam and Ponniyin selvan and just like that the boundaries and differences seemed to vanish , atleast from my side.

We kept bumping into eachother , on and off , sometimes for a chat by the corridor at other times for a chaat treat in the evenings . Life moved on and so did we . She moved to Chennai and from there on to B'Lore and I settled down in Coimbatore for the time being . We were in touch but not quite - friends on facebook but rarely in touch. Life kept interfering - She got married and I fell in love with life as a business analyst - and then Twitter happened .

It was cricket time - more specifically it was The World Cup and 2011 was India's turn to host the tournament. I had been on Twitter for quite some time and she was a famous twitterati .It was then the magic happened. I started tweeting about cricket and she started replying , and in between our mad conversations ranging from , Sreesanth's bird nest hairstyle , Sidhu's florid pink Turbans , Mother-in-laws and Monster crushes - I rediscovered the camaraderie , connection and click that people talk about.We exchanged numbers , started talking and met in person soon after that - and the years between seemed to vanish just like that.

She discovered that I was the same crazy tomboyish girl who wanted to marry vanthiyathevan and put down roots and I discovered that she was the same lovely  friend , who still had a huge crush on george clooney. A couple of months later , she became my best buddy - just like that and two years later she still continues to be that one person who can understand all my crazy ideas and can fathom my reasoning behind the same.
Are we in touch always ? No - But she is always in my thoughts and I am sure I am in hers. We may be living in different time zones , but she is the one person who comes to mind when I drink authentic filter coffee or when I chance upon a new shiny gadget or when I think about crazy conversations .

There could have been many things I could have gifted her on her birthday this year - a new gadget ( she may claim she's not a gadget freak , but inside her heart she is ) , a book ( she would have loved a good one ) , a nice bottle of wine (now she's rolling her eyes) or Rafael Nadal's phone number (Unfortunately , I don't have the means to get it ), but I wanted to do something different. I thought I can write a beautiful blog post about how she's made my life better - but then it turned out to be too less and too meager . Its not her fault though - cos if I start writing about how she's made my life better, I would not know where to start , there are too many things to write about and words too few to describe them.

So here it goes Sandhya - a short and rambling post about 'us'. Thanks for being such a lovely friend , philosopher and sometimes foe (Clooney!). Have a great birthday and party till the day gets over - Oh and before I leave , I call the Dibs (on you know who) !!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Heyyy wow... that was the bestest gift doll :-)
    lthough Rafa's phone numbers would have been totally awesome ;-)
    I feel overwhelmed by your love and wish I could wipe this larger-than-the-world grin off my face!

    ReplyDelete